Saturday, June 6, 2009

Grey Britain


For my fist post i'm gonna tell you all, and by all i mean tim, about my new favourite band.
Gallows.
I'll be honest and say right now that i havent herd much of their first album so I wont be comparing it to anything else they've done. But there are a number of things which really make this record great.
1. Frank Turner. He may be ranga but he has one hectic voice. Most people I've talked to bout it don't like his voice, but the mixture of his filthy pommy accent and his filthy half-screams gives Grey Britain it's energy.
2.  The lyrics. The subjects of violence, rebellion, rain, poverty and England's general lack of quality tie in perfectly with the theme. But what really tie the songs together is the F-bomb. I don't think Frank has written a single chorus here without dropping two or three of them. If it says one thing its that he is passionate about the message he's sending out.
3. The Orchestra. Even though we're seeing a lot of them in punk/alternative bands today I think they've used it best. You can really emphasize with how they view there country.

But what really ties these things together is the dirty punk riffs and hardcore influences. There's nothing fast or tricky here but the way that they've pulled it all together is brilliant.

So far this is my favorite record of 2009. 
Huh, Grey Britain, more like Great Britain. 
Oh. 
Now I get the name.


Also check out Easton Legacy and The One THought Moment and tell me what you think

1 comment:

Argue with me. If you have something to say about anything I've sed just say it